…and so it has come to pass. After thirty eight years of wandering in the wilderness, the Yeomans Project is finally coming to rest at the Art Gallery of NSW.
Exhibition Dates: 28 November 2013 to 27 January 2014.
The exhibition, which is an updated and enlarged version of what we showed at ACCA in 2011, will include:
- a big old Yeomans Plow
- display cases including books and artefacts lent by PA Yeomans’ daughters
- videos showing Keyline design in action
- prints produced on the Big Fag Press
- a large chalk map of one of Yeomans’ properties
- the original Art Gallery of NSW Trustees’ Minutes book which shows the decision NOT to exhibit Ian Milliss’s Yeomans exhibition back in 1976.
The show will also be making links to some contemporary artists who demonstrate that things have come full circle since the Art Gallery of NSW rejected the original Yeomans exhibition. In other words, unlike back in 1976, it’s now totally acceptable for the works of an artist (or art collective) to consist almost entirely of agricultural, botanical and permacultural processes. (Artists featured include Taranaki Farm, Milkwood Permaculture, Diego Bonetto and collaborators, f(ROUTE) and Artist as Family.)
…we’ll be hosting some discussions with the following luminaries, touching on different aspects of Yeomans’ life and work:
- Kirsten Bradley of Milkwood Permaculture (on the impact of Yeomans on contemporary permaculture practices)
- Joanna Mendelssohn, College of Fine Arts (on the history of the AGNSW Trustees and their very “hands-on” approach to exhibition planning in the 1970s)
- Stuart Hill, Professor of Social Ecology at UWS (on the usefulness of Yeomans’ work for the philosophy of Social Ecology)
- Wendy Yeomans, PA Yeomans’ daughter and a researcher at the Institute of Sustainable Futures at UTS (on her father’s life and work, and her own)
And if that wasn’t enough, we also invite you to hop on a bus for our Field Trip to an early Yeomans experimental farm outside of Sydney (free, but bookings required).
CLICK HERE FOR ALL THE INFO ON THESE EVENTS
CLICK HERE FOR EXHIBITION DETAILS
Leave a Reply